A couple of days ago I shared a “self-confidence quote” on Facebook and received a bunch of “Likes” and an unexpected message from a friend asking me for some tips on how he could improve his self-confidence. Many people don’t give it much thought but self confidence is one of the most important assets that you can have in life. Self-confidence is often a more important asset than skill, knowledge, or even experience. When skill, knowledge, and experience are all equal, what sets people apart is the impression they make. Your credentials may be impressive, but if your body language or attitude gives any indication of uncertainty people will pick up on it. If people pick up that you are not confident they will hesitate in doing business with you and in putting their trust in you. As the quote above states “The man who has confidence in himself gains the confidence of others.” Confidence creates trust and trust is essential in any type of relationship whether business or personal.
Here are 9 tips to that you can use to help boost your self confidence and to get people to trust you.
1. Look The Part. I’m sure you heard the saying “If you look good, you feel good.” Looking the part will help boost your self confidence. Look presentable. You don’t have to wear a $1000 suit to accomplish that but do wear a suit that fits and is clean. Hygiene is also super important. It’s hard to trust people that are smelly and hairy. Exercising also really helps to boost confidence. Not only because it reshapes your body and helps you lose weight but also because exercise release endorphins that acts as a stress reliever and a mood booster.
2. Be Positive. “Thoughts become things” Make sure the things that you are thinking about throughout the day are positive and are aligned with what you want. Keep your self talk positive and encourage yourself. If you catch yourself being negative, immediately kill the thought and replace it with something positive. Monitor & guard your mind! However, just thinking positive is not enough you also have to act positive. Meaning that you move forward on those positive thoughts. When you start acting on it, you change yourself, one action at a time. Change what you do and you’ll change who you are.
3. Be Prepared. As a professional public speaker this is the single best advice that I give to those trying to become better at public speaking. If you are prepared and have studied your material well then speaking about it is second nature. Being prepared gives you confidence that you need to do well. Will you be confident about passing a test that you haven’t studied or prepared for? Probably not.
4. Smile. It’s hard to feel sad when you got a smile on your face. The world always looks better behind a smile. Give it a try and see how one little thing can have a chain reaction that makes the people around you happier too. Smiling will make you more approachable and is a great way to boost your self confidence.
8. Give. Being generous and giving time and resources to others is a tremendous way to improve your self-image. When you help somebody in need it makes you feel good about yourself thereby improving your self image and self confidence.
9. Be Grateful. Be thankful for what you have; you’ll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don’t have, you will never, ever have enough. Develop an attitude of gratitude and watch your self confidence grow.